Benefits advice

IDS provides a number of welfare services to its tenants giving advice on benefits, advocacy services, and, for elderly or disabled tenants both redecoration and the provision of aids and adaptations to their homes.

The welfare service is managed by Annette Henry and Robert Davenport.

Annette is our Supported Housing Manager with responsibility for managing our sheltered housing schemes and dealing with local authorities concerning Supporting People funding.

Robert Davenport is our Housing Welfare & Support Officer providing welfare advice and assistance for residents living on our estates and general housing schemes. He also provides training for staff so that they are also able to assist with welfare advice.

Robert can also provide advocacy for tenants in claiming welfare benefits. He often represents tenants, liaising with the DWP, local authorities, and other statutory and voluntary organisations bodies, such as charities and makes referrals where appropriate. Robert arranges appointments to visit tenants in their own home or is willing to set up interviews at IDS offices.

Tenants living in our sheltered schemes receive welfare services from the Supported Housing Manager.


Michael McFarlane is our Welfare Decorator providing a service for tenants who are unable to decorate for themselves for various reasons including age and disability. As well as providing a decorating service he also carries out minor works within sheltered schemes. We employ a decorator who will decorate one room in each flat. We aim to carry out the work within 12 months of accepting applications. To qualify, tenants have to be in receipt of benefit and have insufficient savings to carry out the work themselves.

If tenants are able to carry out the work but cannot afford to buy materials, we can sometimes provide a grant to help cover these costs. Tenants interested in this scheme should contact their Estate Manager, Sheltered Scheme Manager or the Housing & Welfare Support Officer direct.

Aids and adaptations

IDS applies for funding from the Housing Corporation each year to carry out adaptations to tenantsí homes to enable them to remain independent. Works range from installing level access showers to providing grab rails. Referral for this work has to be through Social Services.

The Housing & Welfare Support Officer can help in obtaining the required referral.