The vast majority of our residents behave in a neighbourly fashion. On occasion however, people will experience anti-social behaviour. We would describe ASB as conduct that has caused, or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to a person.

We work on the following principles:

  • Anyone has a right to their chosen lifestyle but this must not unreasonably interfere with the quality of life of others
  • There should be tolerance and respect for the needs of others

If you have a complaint of nuisance from a neighbouring property, sometimes it’s good to talk to people as they may not realise that their behaviour bothers you. It is always better if neighbours can resolve their problems informally together – most noise issues are resolved this way.

All criminal activity should be reported to the police. The police can be contacted on 101 or in an emergency, 999.

Safer Neighbourhood Teams – Metropolitan Police community-based teams will be able to assist you in cases of criminal anti-social behaviour. For more information about the Safer Neighbourhood Teams for your area click here:

What is NOT ASB?

Behaviour which results from different lifestyles or which would not be considered unreasonable by most people is not anti-social behaviour. We expect our residents to show consideration to their neighbour. This may include:
• Smells from cooking
• Sounds of normal day to day living (doors closing, use of stairs, flushing toilet
• Use of household appliances (hoover, washing machine)
• Babies crying, children playing
• One off party
As a general rule we will not take any action on these types of issues.

Reporting and resolving an ASB case

IDS staff will investigate complaints about nuisance behaviour when the complaint is about an IDS tenant if it cannot be resolved between neighbours. If the complaint is about another housing association or council tenant, this should be reported to their housing management department.

Where you report ASB to us, we will tell you what we can do to help assist in resolving the issue. On occasion you may be asked to maintain a diary of incidents to help provide us with the evidence to support the case if further action becomes necessary. We may need to liaise with other agencies such as the Police, local Council or support services who have other powers and areas of expertise.

Hate Crime

If you have been intimidated, harassed, victimised or abused because of who you are or what you believe in, then you are a victim of Hate Crime. You can report it to the Police and directly to us.

You can find our full ASB policy here