If you need to have your home adapted because you or a member of your family who live with you have a disability, you should contact your local Social Services Department or Doctor and ask them to tell us about the adaptations you need.

Generally, we will carry out the adaptation if the Social Services Occupational Therapist or your Doctor recommends it and we have the money to do the work. Consideration may also be given to transferring you to a more suitable property, if adapting your present home is not possible or practical.


Typical adaptations may include:

  • Over-bath showers
  • Level access showers
  • Stairlifts

Other minor adaptations such as lever taps or grab rails may also be installed by us.

If there are other adaptations you are planning on doing yourself, then please let us know as you would need permission first in writing.

Tenants repairs

You are responsible for minor jobs such as:

  • Changing fuses
  • Clearing blocked sinks and protecting against frost in cold weather

Damaged caused

As a tenant, you are responsible for repairing any damage caused by you, your family and guests. We might hold you responsible for the cost of rectifying the following damage, unless there are reasonable grounds to show otherwise:

  • Caused by overflowing sinks, baths and washing machines, blocked drains and damaged waste pipes caused by disposable nappies, plastic bags and so on
  • Broken glass and damage caused by breaking in or domestic accidents
  • Damage to sinks and toilet pans
  • Damage caused by condensation, for example from blocked air vents or by using paraffin or bottled gas heaters, etc
  • Damage caused by a member of your family or visitor by acts of vandalism or negligence